US State Department releases a statement that:
- Germany and Japan should be added to the Council as permanent members;
- up to three more seats should be added to allow representation from various regions;
- consideration should be given to allowing non-permanent members to serve more than one consecutive term;
- the size of the Council should not exceed twenty members;
- Council procedures should be reviewed to ensure greater transparency and a flow of information to the overall UN Membership; and
- the powers of the current permanent members of the Council must be preserved.